Wednesday, January 25, 2012

One day post retrieval

I am so bloated! It's amazing how uncomfortable I am, I think possibly even more uncomfortable than before the retrieval. Heat isn't helping much either. My bronchitis is getting better, but I definitely have a very phlegmy wet cough, that sounds much worse than what it feels. Yesterday they recovered 18 eggs from our follicles. The embryologist called this morning to let us know that of the 18 eggs, only 6 were mature, and only 4 fertilized. This kind of surprised us, and the doctor as well. 9 eggs were immature yesterday, matured overnight and they fertilized them today, and will call us tomorrow to let us know how many of those fertilized as well. Since we had so few eggs that fertilized, they have decided to bump up our embryo transfer to day 3 instead of day 5. The rational for that is since we have so few eggs, we don't want to risk growing them another two days, because they might not survive, and of course we don't want that. Apparently eggs are happier inside the body, and whether we do the transfer on day 3 or day 5, it doesn't change our success rates for pregnancy. It has been difficult to have such changes in our plan, and disappointing to have so few eggs be mature and successfully fertilize, but I keep reminding myself that we only need 2 good eggs. If by some chance all the newer eggs fertilize overnight, they might change our transfer day to day 5, but it's not likely. This means our transfer is scheduled for Friday at 1pm. I will be doing lab work and acupuncture before and after the transfer, and then will be on bed rest for two days after that. It's a good thing I've got a lot of books to keep me company. This will mean I will have a lot more down time to relax before having to go back to work after the transfer, so that is nice as well. I'm trying to stay positive, and I definitely have utmost trust in my Dr. I start my progesterone vaginal suppositories in the morning as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment